Book Clubs: What is Your Book Club Reading?
Book Club name:
Dunwoody Library Book Club
Book Club Location:
Free and Open to the Public
Types of Books Read:
How often do you meet?
Once a month
Where do you meet?
Dunwoody Library, DeKalb County
Books To Be Read in 2013-2014
- January 8, 2013, Unbroken, by Laura Hillenbrand, Biography,. New York : Random House, c2010. 473p;
- February 12, 2013 Death of Innocence: The Story of the Hate Crime That Changed America. Till-Mobley, Mamie and Benson, Christopher. New York: Random House, 2003.
- March 12, 2013 The Weird Sisters – Eleanor Brown 320p 16 copies no requests CARLENE
- April 9, 2013 The Widower’s Tale, by Julia Glass – literary fiction, 2010 – 402 pp.
- May 14, 2013 Still Alice: a noval by Lisa Genova, 2009, 293 pages PLUS My Stroke of Insight by Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor, NY, Viking, 2008. 183 pages
- June 11, 2013 River of Doubt by Candice Millard 432 pages
- July 9, 2013 Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity. Katherine Boo. Nonfiction. 288 pp.
- August 13, 2013 The Elephant Whisperer by Lawrence Anthony.
- September 10 We will pick more books as voted on at the December meeting
- October 8, 2013 Bring Up the Bodies. Hilary Mantel. Fiction. 432 pp.
- November 12, 2013 The Light Between Oceans By M.L. Stedman
- December 10, 2013 Holiday Party PLUS BOOK Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. 418 pages
- January 14, 2014 The Keeper of Lost Causes, by Jussi Adler-Olsen, translated from Danish – suspense fiction, 2011 – 396 pp.
- February 11, 2014 An Invisible Thread: The True Story of an 11-Year-Old Panhandler, a Busy Sales Executive, and an Unlikely Meeting with Destiny. Laura Schroff, Alex Tresniowski. Nonfiction. 272 pp.
- March 13, 2014 The Night Circus Erin Morgenstern 2011 387 pages, genre: love story
Books Read in 2010, 2011 and 2012
- January 12, 2010. The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak. Facilitators: Carleen Yelton and Ellen Lange
- February 9, 2010 People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks, Facilitator: Barbara Sutter
- March 9, 2010 The Curious Incident of the Dog at Night Facilitator: Sheila Moriarty
- April 13, 2010 The Necklace by Cheryl Jarvis, Facilitator: Bambi Maxwell
- May 11, 2010 The Places in Between: A Walk Across Afghanistan by Rory Stewart, Facilitator: Muriel Knope
- June 8, 2010 Gap Creek by Robert Morgan, Facilitator: Karen Angel
- July 13m 2010 Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck, Facilitator: Pat Bowes
- August 10, 2010 The Color of Water by James McBride, Facilitator: Barbara Schlefman
- September 14, 2010 Praying for Sheetrock by Melissa Faye Green, Facilitator: Judi Reider
- October 12, 2010 The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls, Facilitiator: Sarah Edwards
- November 9, 2010 The Help by Kathryn Stockett, Facilitator: Deborah Osterholz
- December 14, 2010, The Noticer by Andy Andrews, Facilitator: Marjorie Parker
- January 11, 2011 Cancelled due to snow storm
- February 8, 2011 The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs Facilitator: Bambi plus Every Last One by Anna Quindlen Facilitator: Barbara Purdy
- March 8, 2011 Three Weeks With My Brother by Nicholas Sparks, Facilitator: Rama
- April 12, 2011 Bloodroot by Amy Greene Facilitator: KAREN
- May 10, 2011The Pact by Davis, Jenkins & Hunt Facilitator: JUDI
- June 14, 2011 Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Facilitator: MARJORIE
- July 12, 2011Tracy Kidder, Mountains Beyond Mountains. Facilitator: MURIEL
- August 9, 2011 Half Broke Horses, by Jeannette Walls, Facilitator: PAT
- September 13, 2011 Tatiana DeRosnay: Sarahs Key, Facilitator: BARBARA SCHLEFMAN
- October 11, 2011 Suzanne Collings, The Hunger Games Facilitator: ELLEN
- November 8, 2011 Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford; Facilitator: ELINOR
- December 13, 2011 Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok Facilitator: SHEILA, PARTY DAY
- January 10, 2012 The interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri; Facilitator: Rama (19)
- February 7, 2012 The Confession by John Grisham. 77 copies, no holds, audio CD, Facilitator: Bambi (18)
- March 13, 2012 The Torilla Curtain, T. Coraghessan Boyle, 1995 Facilitator: Barbara (16)
- April 10, 2012 The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck, 1931, Facilitator: Barbara P. (16)
- May 8, 2012 Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, Helen Simonson, 2010 Facilitator: Pat (18)
- June 12, 2012 Wench by Dolen Perkins-Valdez. 293 pages, Facilitator: Sheila. (15)
- July 10, 2012 The Language of Flowers Vanessa Dittenbaugh, 2010 Facilitator: Deborah (18)
- August 14, 2012 The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks,” Rebecca Skloot Facilitator: Muriel (21)
- September 11, 2012 Still Life by Louise Penny, 2005 Facilitator: Anne (Muriel helping due to voice) (17)
- October 9, 2012 One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus Facilitator: Ellen (17)
- November 13, 2012 TWO BOOKS: (1) The Paris Wife, Paula McLain NY 2011 320p. presently
on the NY Times best seller list. (2) A Moveable Feast: Ernest Hemingway,
Which Books Worked Well?
All. We've never had a book that everyone hated. We pick a variety of books and
have a democratic vote annually to pick our books. We may reject a great book because
too many people read it or we may pick a book where none are available in the library system.
Each book is picked on its individual merits. We picked 15 books at our December 2012 meeting,
so we are set until March of 2014.